TVNweather.com | Tornado Chasers

Advice for teenagers aspiring to be a storm chaser

Hey…open to everyone…jump right in

Hey, i’m 15 and i’d love to be a storm chaser!! How old are you? There’s no other teens to talk to about weather!

14…not many people out here…it sucks

Yeah, do you have instagram?? I’d love to talk to another teen thats inspiring to b a storm chaser!

nope. ive got an email with hangouts tho

Ok cool, if u want to talk about the weather with someone thats also an aspiring chaser, my email is hamzaziz2000@gmail.com. Whats yours?

Hi ppl, Im kat, Aspiring Chaser knows me already, but im 15. I also want to be a chaser. I am looking forward to talking about the severe weather this spring.

Hi Kat, do u have instagram? Thats what I use the most to communicate so it would be cool if u have it. There’s no other teens to talk to about the weather!!

Hi im 14 and kinda wanna be a storm chaser and my names liz

Hey guys, I’m Evan and I’m definitely interested in chasing. I’m 18 and I’ve been interested in weather ever since I was 3 years old. I’ll be going to University of North Dakota next year for Meteorology and Commercial Aviation.

If you guys want to get involved and learn more about how to recognize and spot weather I suggest you take this super easy online course to learn more about how weather looks and works.

https://www.meted.ucar.edu/training_course.php?id=23

I am also a trained weather spotter for the NWS in Mt. Holly NJ, so if you guys want any more info about that don’t hesitate to PM on insta @evan_rys

Here is some advice from someone your ages.

Im 18 and ive been chasing storms for 3 years now. I am now an intern for the amarillo national weather service and im going to Texas A&M for meteorology this year. The best advice I can give you is be smart about everything you do. Don’t be one of those “chasers” who I hear about being killed because they had no idea what they were doing. Research research research, know what you are doing. Ask other chasers for advice, talk to the forecasters at your local weather service, and most importantly never chase alone.

Become a ham radio operator. Get your tech license and learn how people in your area chase using ham radio. My advice is never never never never never chase without first having your ham license. You will be going into areas that may not have cell service due to damage. If you are in a life threatening situation and you need help, ham radio never fails.

You need money, and lots and lots of money to chase. My advice, see if you can get someone to pay you to chase. This includes TV stations and company’s wanting stock footage. You will need to be 18 before you can be payed to chase however. This year since I am 18, KVII in Amarillo is paying me to chase for them and we will also be selling footage. You must find a way to make money chasing, or you wont be able to do it very long.

Don’t make storm chasing something you want to do the rest of your life, go to school for meteorology or atmospherics sciences, that way you can get payed doing academic research, which is basically storm chasing.

As I said, chasing is extremely expensive. Here is a list of equipment:
Chase Car/Truck~$5000
Lights, Logos~$300
Gas: $500-1000 per year
Car Insurance: $100 per month
Windsheild replacements (for those times you miscalculate)~$500
Radios, Antennas~$500
Radar/Allison House Data-I recommend Gibson Ridge level 2 and 3. We use both at the weather service~$500+$10 monthly
Training!!! GO TO SKYWARN TRANING ITS FREE
Everything else!~$1000

As you can see this hobby, which is what it is until you are doing it for money, is extremely expensive.

When you are chasing, its important to clearly mark your chase vehicle. Just because you are “chasing” doesn’t mean a cop wont pull you over for speeding. However if you clearly mark your car, have caution lights, cops will leave you be provided you know what you are doing and are not being reckless while speeding. Cops are your best friend when chasing, they will pull up to you and advise you of what they know. Don’t anger them.

Know what you are doing, be safe, don’t be an idiot. If I see you on the chase and you are being dangerous, I will personally pull you over. I have done it before, and they were teenagers. You can and will receive a citation if a police officer is near by. You are endangering the lives of everyone around you.

This is a wonderful but dangerous hobby. Have fun and be safe on the road.

It is good that you are interested at an early age. The first bit of advice would be to learn your local weather. Unfortunately, you are a bit too young to get to go to spotter classes that the NWS offers, but you can still get a NOAA weather radio. Listen to it all the time. You will learn your seasonal weather patters, and the different characteristics of different storm patterns in your area. Also, be safe. It is a wonder I am still alive after some of the weather I have been in. Remember that lightening can be unpredictable. I have had many close encounters with storms that I thought were safe.
@Evan_R had a great post. I have been trying to find the site he mentioned for about a week now, or I would have posted sooner. The stuff you learn there will prepare you well for the future. Also, DO get your Ham licence. Unfortunately, I have not been able to get it yet, due to family issues/finances, but if you can, do it. You don’t have to spend the royal budget to get a good radio. Remember, you only need an entry level radio to start with. There is no lower age limit to get your ham, so you can take it whenever you want. A good site is www.qrz.com. If you scroll down, you will see the option to take practice exams. That will help there. The FCC did away with the morse code requirements to get your technicians license, so it has never been easier.
The biggest piece of advice I can give, though, is to get involved. Even if you are spotting from your front porch, start spotting. The more you practice, the better you will become. Storms became personal to me after seeing the damage done to my town in SW Ga in 2007. I think that the first time you see real damage, you get more passionate and more excited about storms than before.
Happy hunting :)grinning:

I’m a teenage guy, and storm chase with my Dad whenever I get the chance (Since I’m not old enough for a license). But I agree, it seems no other teens are interested in storm chasing (Other than the few here).

Dude you’re so fricken lucky!! My dad won’t ever take me!

Oh trust me, he is pretty nervous. And he is mostly worried about hail damage to our SUV, but I have learned a lot about storms, so we have never gotten into hail larger than quarter (But we dodged softballs by a few minutes last July :wink:). Being a teenager, it can be annoying because we want to chase storms, but we can’t drive yet. :confused:

Not sure, but once I can drive I’m going storm chasing :sunglasses:

Ugh, I know how to dodge those hail storms too but my dad just won’t take me lol. Being a teen, i don’t think he trusts me lmao.

Hi, I’m 14 and live in PA. Can anyone email me? My phone is taken away right now, but I can use email. Email at loganlove820@gmail.com

What for? TVNcommunity is open to all who wanna join in the conversation, and who knows, maybe there is another teenage guy (or girl) who wants to learn more about storm chasing.

Hey my name is gabe i’m 14 and i would be interested to talk more about storm chasing with you guys.