TVNweather.com | Tornado Chasers

Why tornadoes are becoming more common in Brazil?

(I know that this has nothing with this American forum but the facts are scarring me)

Is this just because people are moving to places more favorable to tornadoes or the weather is really changing???
http://www.hellomagazine.com/celebrities-news-in-pics/27-05-2005/28389/
This is the monster Indaiatuba tornado fortunately it didn’t hit the city directly.

In 2009 an EF4 tornado hit some power lines leaving 400.000 without energy.
In 1994 a F4 tornado hit the city of Itu killing 16 people (it was not documented by the media).
In 2013 an EF3 tornado hit the city of Taquarituba killing 3 people.
In 2013 another EF3 the city of Limeira.

And all this tornadoes are just the big ones. In the months of September to march we get lots of reports of small tornadoes (EF0s & EF1s) but most of our tornadoes are rain wrapped and sometimes they happen at night, and remember we are a third world country with lots of unabated places so that can mean that lots of tornadoes are not detected (also we just have Doppler radar at the states of Sao Paulo and Minas Gerais). I Also made a tornadoes in Brazil compilation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9xsaYhwWlc

You are right about the weather changing. The weather is ALWAYS changing. It may be a favorable year during 2013 for tornadoes, however it is coincidence that you have major cities hit. The tornadoes we hear of the most are the ones that hit populated areas. So you were close to the mark when you said that many tornadoes go undetected. In this day and age, technology is making it cheaper and easier to report and detect tornadoes. It is quite possible that the combination of more frequent reporting and coverage, coupled with the above-average tornado season, it seems like tornadoes are starting to become more common or frequent but not really. I would like to hear more information on this theory if you have it. Be careful!

this vídeo shown one of the biggest tornado outbreaks that happened in brazil. The tornadoes started at 8:30 PM and the last tornado dropped at 4:00 am. You can see that the outbreak hit really poor areas so one of the tornadoes (probably) had EF3 winds but produced EF4 damage in some areas. For just an idea the tornado maneged to pick up a entire house and leave it 70 meters away. Actually the strongest and longest living tornado started in Argentina and dissipated in Brazil. (Most of the damage area being in brazil)

Now in this vídeo a single tornado that hit 2 cities (Gramado & Canela). This tornado also happened at night.

Definitely not off-topic, weather events word-wide are fair game on this forum. I wouldn’t consider this an American forum either, even though a good amount of the traffic is from the US. English speaking, sure, but we don’t want this to be limited to just the US or even North America.

This is a big topic for debate everywhere right now, so definitely appropriate for this forum.

I live in Canada, where a lot of people are just starting to figure out that we do get tornadoes, even though we have records going back to the 1800’s. It is partly because of the population increasing and people moving into areas where tornadoes went unnoticed before.

And it is partly due to the Internet and social media making it easier to share and access information about severe weather events. Before the Internet, we had very little information beyond our local forecast. Now we can see pictures and video almost instantly after an event.

But I also believe very firmly that the climate is changing and weather patterns are shifting. Maybe we aren’t really getting more tornadoes than we did before, but we definitely have more severe weather overall, and in strange places. The most severe storms are not happening where they did in the past anymore, both in summer and winter. Everything has shifted. And everything is just different now. I know it isn’t very scientific, but I can just see it and feel it.